Sunday, September 30, 2012

For Others

Well I  have very quickly reached saturation point in making quilts for my nearest and dearest, and for myself!  So now I am happily turning my hand, and my ever-growing fabric stash, to more quilts and blocks "for others". 
In September, this simple but effective block went off to the US, to be part of a quilt for a chap who lost everything in the Colorado fires last summer.  This was for the "Quilting for a Cause" group in Flickr.

Then, my next project, fun and also very rewarding:  Aussie Heroes  is a great online group, right here in blogspot land, which coordinates the sending of quilts and colourful laundry bags to serving members of Australia's Defence forces.
Here is my first quilt, which went off last month to a bloke on HMAS ANZAC, with an equally bright laundry bag (so it can be quickly located amongst the white navy-issue bags).

I really enjoyed this quick quilt and picture it thrown over a bed in a ship's cabin! so I have started another one, planned another couple, and...  bought more fabric of course.

The other exciting quilt news:  the Farmer's Wife Sampler quilt is back from the longarm quilter!!!!  poor Pam had so much trouble quilting it: being on point (diagonal), it stretched on the machine so she had to unpick some.....  but it is lovely, nearly bound, and off to have its photo taken today on Richard's Hills Hoist!

No comments: