Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Another project: the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt

There I go....  I resisted for a while, but I finally succumbed to the charm  The Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt!
In 1922, The Farmer's Wife magazine posed this question to their readers: "If you had a daughter of marriageable age, would you, in light of your own experience, have her marry a farmer?" The magazine at that time had 750,000 subscribers, and received over 7,000 letters. The best answers to this question are included in this book, along with the traditional quilt blocks they inspired.

And there are 111 blocks... They are only 6 1/2" (which means some have tiny tiny pieces).... and I might WILL do them all.  I started less than a week ago, and have done 10.  Does that mean it will only take me 10 weeks?

Nah, things will happen, like life, and travels, and loss of motivation.

And the icky ones, that many in Blogland seem to have trouble with, like Number 14 "Butterfly at the Crossroads".

They have such pretty, or enigmatic names!  Anyway, here are ther first 8, I'm off to tackle "Broken Dishes" and "Broken Sugar Bowl".

Clockwise from top LHS:

1: Attic Windows

2: Autumn Tints

4: Basket Weave

3: Basket







5: Batwing

6: Big Dipper

8:  Bouquet (my fave so far)

9: Birds in the Air


and as you can see with 8 and 9, I found the Ruby charm pack I forgot I had!!!

No comments: